Thursday, August 4, 2011

On Tuesday Avery's j-tube popped out. It happened right before Kevin and Aiden got home. We knew exactly what we had to do. We grabbed our replacement and took her straight to the emergency room. We told them as soon as we got there that this a time sensitive thing. It had to be replaced soon or the hole could close up. Everyone acted like they understood. Then we waited and waited and waited. We checked twice about the hold up and they just kept saying they would get to us "soon". "Soon" turned into hours and hours. By the time we got back into a room it was too late to have it replaced right away. We were going to have to be admitted overnight. I was beyond mad. It was after 9pm before we saw a doctor. My next concern was that Avery had not had her meds or any fluid since 4pm. She needed an IV. I had to continue to request that she get one. Nurses and doctors claimed it was coming but it never did. I asked to speak to the charge nurse. She never showed up. I told the doctor three times I wanted to make a formal complaint. He blew me off. Avery did not get fluids until after midnight when she went to the floor. Then her night nurse called down to the ER and that nurse said that she gave Avery some fluid. LIE!!!!!! I was about to lose it. It was almost 1am before she got her medicine. Around 2am we were finally able to get some sleep. At 6am the confusion began again. First they were unsure if she was on or off the radiology schedule. Why that was so hard to figure out, I have no idea. Then they came in to talk about sedation. I refused to sign anything because Avery never needed sedation for a tube placement. They wanted radiology to talk to me after I signed the papers. I don't think so. Come to find out, they were wrong and sedation would not be needed. At 9am we were the next case. While we waited our turn they came in to tell me that Avery had MRSA and how to treat it. Ten minutes later someone came in to say they had mistaken. She did not have MRSA, it was the patient next door. It was 1pm before we made it down to radiology. The whole procedure took less than 15 minutes. The surgeon said we could leave as soon as the tube was replaced. It was after 5pm before we got discharged. Slow people who did not have a clue. That sums up our stay. I understand that most nurses, doctors, ect do not know a lot about EA. I get that. But feeding tubes? That is easy. It is a simple replacement that takes very little time to replace if people do their job. There are several other things that happened that were just not right. But I will end my complainig here. Avery did eat 1/3 jar of carrots while we were there. I think her getting hungry is going to be the key to getting her to eat more. She rarely gets that hunger feeling because she is on continuous feeds. She did a great job. She was excited about it and swallowed all of the bites she was given. It was amazing feeling! We are back home now. Thank God! Even having to go back to the hospital for a short period of time brings back a flood of emotions and anxiety.

No comments: